Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chinese New Year Parade

On the weekend, we took the Skytrain into Chinatown to watch the Chinese New Year Parade (Year of the Rabbit) with Conrad and Chantelle.

Vancouver's Chinatown is the largest in Canada, dating back to the late 1800s. These days about one in three Vancouver residents are of Asian descent, with the largest proportion of those being Chinese: about 17% of the total metropolitan population is of Chinese ethnicity. This means that Greater Vancouver has the highest percentage of residents of Chinese descent in North America... and thus a thriving Chinese culture, which the parade was certainly testament to!

It rained during most of the parade, which may be obvious from all the umbrellas in our photos! But it was very fun, interesting, colourful, and noisy (lots of drums, cymbals, marching bands, and firecrackers!). Our favourite parts of the parade were the marching band dressed as rabbits, and the little kids wearing traditional costumes. It was an entertaining hour or so!































Conrad and Chantelle...


And us...


Afterwards, we had lunch at the nearby Acme Cafe, and then headed home on the Skytrain. It was a fun outing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks like lots of fun!!! Those little kids are SOOOO adorable!!! :-) I've been going to email you ever since you arrived back in Canada, because I was so disappointed that we couldn't end up seeing you!!!!! The kids haven't been sick since, typically! However....I've managed to lose your email address again. I know, ridiculous hey?! So just wondering if you could drop me a line and I'll make sure I store it this time! :-)

Sonya.

me said...

definitely a good time!!

Anonymous said...

oh boy! what a blast-- looks like alot of fun-- missing you guys!