Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Caribbean cruise, Post 5: Honduras (Ben)

For our stop at Isla Roatan, Honduras, we did the opposite to Cozumel: I got to go diving and Anna looked after Finley. However, as my dives were booked through Carnival's Shore Excursions (first time ever for us - but the price difference was negligible, so why not?!), Anna and Finley were not able to accompany me on the trip. So, while they slept in and had a leisurely breakfast, I dashed around then headed ashore for my designated 9am meet-up in the sparkly new "tourist village" at the port.

After signing my life away on the usual forms, and waiting for the stragglers to arrive, we all piled into a mini-bus to travel across the island to our dive resort. It was worth the wait! The resort looked awesome - gorgeous views, stunning water, and the option of staying in cute little bungalows right on the water. I would definitely be up for a vacation there! And all this was before I went diving.

Very helpful and professional crew sorted us out for gear. I just had a few pieces of my own stuff, and as is not uncommon, especially in marine parks, I wasn't allowed to wear my gloves. Because I wasn't with my usual buddy, I was paired up with a middle-aged gent from the States, who turned out to be a pretty good buddy (though not as pretty as my usual good buddy :)).

The dive boat

My temporary dive buddy

Our first dive was a reef dive at Overheat Reef. A very nice reef, with great visibility and lots of life. We saw grouper, lots of parrot fish, including the biggest I've ever seen, eels, crustaceans, and TURTLES!!!



Turtle...

Turtle, turtle...

Turtle, turtle, turtle...!



Our second dive started at a wreck, which was surrounded by multitudes of huge groupers - literally dozens, many of which were over 4 feet long. Visibility was once again fantastic, and though there was less life (other than the groupers), the wall and coral formations were pretty cool.

The wreck

Lots of groupers...

Really big grouper...

Really close grouper...

Some kind of crustacean


Still lots of groupers

Me

Anthony's Key Resort

After coming up, we headed back to the resort and cleaned up. Then we piled back in the bus and headed back to the ship. It was a great day, and the water was fantastic - Isla Roatan is definitely added to my "to go back to" list.

1 comment:

Liesl said...

Ben, Your pictures are fantastic! I have heard about that resort in Isla Roatan and want to be notified when you do decide to go back - I want to go with you guys! We just did a week of diving in Grand Cayman and you definitely missed out on the better bits of that island on your short port stop!!