Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Off to London again

Today I went to London for my exam, and I am pleased to announce that this time there were no huge fires! (Although there was one only three days ago - Camden Market was ablaze on Saturday night. Click here for BBC photos and here for the blog entry of our visit there in August.)

Like last time, my exam (which was for my Corporations Law subject) was held at the University of East London. I was quite happy with how it went considering how last-minute the majority of my studying was!!! :S Thankfully it was an open book exam, so if I didn't know the answer I simply looked it up - it's quite a strange feeling to be able to do that in an exam!

Afterwards, I hopped off the tube at Canary Wharf for a bit of exploring. I didn't know what was there but could vaguely recall reading something about a nice shopping area.

Anyway, as soon as I stepped out of the tube station I was surrounded by enormous skyscrapers in what was obviously a high-flying financial district. There were giant towers containing acres of reflective glass with identifying logos right at the top - HSBC, Bank of America, Barclays, Reuters etc - and lots of professional-looking people striding around in dark suits. I also found Canada Square, which had an ice skating rink in the centre.

I didn't do much at Canary Wharf, just bought a book and had some lunch before continuing on home, but here are a few photos that show a different side of London to what has previously been focused on in this blog - i.e. modern, expensive and impressive instead of old, expensive and impressive! Note the window cleaners at work - AURGGHHH!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeek! Don't think I'd be able to focus too well on cleaning the window up that high! Wish I could watch the videos - I'm in the library so can't at the moment. :( Will be sure to check them out though...Btw, have a great valentines day. I'm going out for a candlelit Thai dinner... ;)

Anonymous said...

NO THANK YOU - no window cleaning up THAT HIGH!!!!!!!!