Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Ben goes to Bamfield


This week as part of my new job, I went out to Vancouver Island to the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre. Bamfield is in a remote area on the west coast of the island, only accessible by boat or logging road. I have always heard that the island is beautiful, and it is, but Bamfield was stupendous.



My entire group from work (the 17 members of the Marine Sciences team) was in Bamfield for our first "Marine Team Boot-camp Training". Along with lots of talks about survey methods and protocols, equipment use and data back-up protocols, we also did some hands-on work that was great fun. We did some intertidal zone surveys and species identification, seine netting, marine mammal surveys (got to see a river otter and both Californian and Steller sea lions - see second photo below), and sediment surveys.



On top of all that, we spent the entire three days surrounded by the most awesome scenery you can imagine! Did I mention that I quite like my job?!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben,

A Job!!! I think you will find that due to the 'language barrier' you are in a gang of poachers who own a fast get-away boat! If you are getting paid in fish it will confirm my suspicions.ha ha

Hope you both keep well. Regards, John Barton. West Sussex, England

Anonymous said...

Looks a pretty place Ben, except for that THING on your finger??????

Liesl said...

Ben!! This is a FANTASTIC job!!!! What a great opportunity - I'm so jealous! However did you find it and get it? The mammals lazing on the rocks is fantastic wish I could have seen that in person! I'm looking forward to more posts about what other cool and interesting things you get to do.