Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Top 5 reasons for Aussies to visit us

1. A return flight from Brisbane to Seattle is currently showing on Expedia for $1341 (all fees and taxes included; flying with V Australia and Alaska Airlines; 18 hours including transfer). This is at least a hundred dollars cheaper than we ever remember seeing it. Even flying directly into Vancouver is only $1493. The sample dates I used were 1 June to 31 August (i.e. our summer), which are both Wednesdays (it's nearly always cheaper to fly midweek).

2. The currency exchange rate is very favourable for Australians right now. Especially for visiting the USA. Each Aussie dollar will buy almost one Canadian dollar, and just over one American dollar. This compares to one Aussie dollar buying about 75 American cents a few years ago.

3. Vancouver frequently ranks highly on lists of the world's best cities. This year, Vancouver was voted #1 for the third year running on the The Economist's list of the world's most livable cities, which takes into consideration the following five factors: stability, health care, culture and environment, education, and infrastructure. It's a pretty awesome place to visit, too!

4. Aussies under 31 years old can apply for a working holiday visa before they arrive, thus being able to stay longer and not worry about running out of money. A 2-year visa costs only $150, and it's not too difficult to find a job. With your charming accent and friendly Aussie humour, you'll be a hit!

5. We haven't got our summer planned out yet. There's still time for you to be a part of it!

6 comments:

Jac said...

Oh, such a subtle hint Anna! ;) hehe!

Delle said...

Planning the trip back already :D

Mark said...

Trust me, if we could, we would. Would like nothing more than to travel! But you already knew that :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Anna.
I probably found your blog by links to other blogs.
Are you on Facebook?
I have neglected this blog because I communicate more on Facebook these days.
I am pleased to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't mean to be anonymous. I didn't complete the info, sorry!
I hope this works.

Margaret

berkeleyscot.wordpress,com

Anonymous said...

Yes, they do still make Iced Vovos . . . got some for you and a few other items too. We're coming home bearing extra pounds - we'd forgotten how many favourite foods we have down here! So we'll plan to get together once we get home and sorted so we can hand over the Aussie goods. We're having a grand time down here - all good. Sharing it all with the kids is really fantastic. Portia and Will are loving it all and Isla Rae just bops along smiling and copying everything P and W do, so all is well! Hope you're doing okay there in the rain, rain, rain . . . while we enjoy the sun, sun, sun! Sorry - couldn't resist that! Take care, M & all