Our attendance at the concert came about because Ben's cousin Connie's dad, Merle, was one of the singers. Ben hadn't seen Merle (his first cousin once removed) for about 8 years, and I hadn't met him at all, so it was great to see him - brief though it was. His group hadn't placed high enough to be in the winners' concert, but he was in the large group that sang the American and Canadian national anthems at the start of the concert, and then he sat in the audience with us, Connie, Myla and YunJu for the rest of the show.
The singing was of a very high standard - even better than I had expected. After the anthems, the show started with a few songs by the guest singers: the all-female Westcoast Harmony Chorus from Greater Vancouver. Here are two videos of them:
As we didn't know which songs were about to be sung, it was down to pure chance which ones we ended up videoing. We didn't get a video of the song I liked best by the WHC, but click here to see them performing it as a flash mob!
And here are some videos of the barbershop quartet that scored the highest during the competition. They didn't actually place in the competition, as they were from another area and had only competed in this region's contest because they'd missed their own and needed the points to progress to the next level of competition. However, the actual 1st place quartet had to pull out of the winners' concert at the last minute, so they offered their spot to these guys. Aren't they great?!
And here's the chorus that placed first overall: the Gentlemen of Fortune from Greater Vancouver. Apparently they usually win. However, they do have the 2+ million population of Greater Vancouver from which to draw their 50 singers... whereas Merle's group has 22 singers drawn from an island of 4000 residents!!
This is the finale, "Keep The Whole World Singing"...
Here we are with Connie and Merle...
And that was the Show of Champions! What did you think?
4 comments:
Wow...I LOVE the flash mob in the shopping centre!! Wouldn't you get the most awesome surprise if you were eating in that food court! It's like in a musical/movie where everyone breaks out in song! Love it...I might try it one day!! ;)
I liked the four guys the best as you can hear their single parts clearly (no room for a wrong note eh!!)
What an AWESOME concert to go to... a cappella jazz - what could be greater :D We've just booked tickets to see Idea of North again in July and can't wait already.
WOW-- great blog entry! Glad to hear you enjoyed it! This show was the best one I have seen yet! Hope all is well and I enjoyed spending time with you both!
Post a Comment