Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Monday, July 25, 2011

Lamingtons

On the weekend, I finally made good on my 6 month old resolution to make lamingtons!

Lamingtons are an Australian bakery food made from cubes of sponge cake dipped in chocolate icing and rolled in shredded coconut. Theories abound as to their origin, but most involve Charles Wallace Alexander Napier Cochrane-Baillie, 2nd Baron Lamington, who was the Governor of Queensland from 1896 to 1901.

Lamingtons are among the Aussie foods I miss the most and crave most frequently. Guess there are no excuses for missing or craving them anymore though!

As our lamingtons were also quite popular with those of our friends who tasted them on the weekend, here's the [US/Canada-oriented] recipe...


Lamington Recipe

1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
2-3 cups shredded coconut

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch rectangular pan. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the 1/2 cup butter, 3/4 cup sugar and the vanilla until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk; beat well.
3. Pour the batter into the 8x8 inch pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Cut into 16 squares, then refrigerate for a few hours to give the cake a chance to firm up before icing.
4. To make the icing: In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa. In a saucepan, heat milk and 2 tablespoons butter until the butter is melted. Add the milk to the sugar mixture and mix well to create a fluid, but not too runny, icing.
5. Procedure: Place coconut in a bowl. Using tongs, dip each square into the icing, then roll it in the coconut. Place onto rack to dry. Continue for each piece.

Original recipe here (the above version is modified to reflect the procedure I used).

6 comments:

Mother Alcorn said...

Congratulations on your lamington success. I've never made them!! Looks like you're following in your Grandma's footsteps.

Jac said...

I can't believe you've waited so long to make them yourself!! :) I bet you enjoyed every last crumb!
How did your cake turn out?? I can't find a cake recipe for lamingtons that isn't dry. I want nice light, fluffy lamingtons!
PS - thanks for another post! :)

Anna said...

Thanks Mum. :)

And I can't believe I waited 4 years either, Jac... especially since it turned out that we already had all of the ingredients on hand!!

I thought the cake was fine... it was a bit hard (and perhaps dry) if eaten straight out of the fridge, but some we ate at a picnic after they'd been sitting in the sun, and a few we froze and later microwaved slightly... and those ones were the most delicious of the lot. So some heat just before eating might be the key to moist fluffiness!

Next challenge: making Red Rooster!!! (That's the other thing I really miss.)

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the Red Rooster Anna!
Have enjoyed all the recent blogs
J & J

Laura said...

You have now inspired me to make my own lamingtons!!

Roxy said...

Yuuuuum! Let's make them when I get there!! I've been craving Aussie foods...or food I can get in Australia and not Brazil...such as Cuppachinos!! Now I'm adding lamingtons to the list..!