Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Saturday, July 16, 2011

A visit to/from Down Under

On Thursday night, we met up with some familiar faces from my childhood in Dalby! Kent and Elwyn were passing through Vancouver en route to embarking on a 7-day Alaska cruise as part of a 3-month trip around North America, so we took them out for... some good old Aussie food!!

Here we are enjoying our generous mains at Moose's Down Under: salmon burger for Ben; Aussie burger (with egg, beetroot and pineapple - and chicken salt on the chips!) for me; "Gold Coast Chicken" for Elwyn; and shepherd's pie for Kent...


It had been 1.5 years since we last went to Moose's, but now that we've tasted their huge, delicious, melts-in-your-mouth pavlova, I think we'll be returning a lot sooner next time!


With the moose...


After dinner, we took Kent and Elwyn down to the waterfront to check out the Olympic Cauldron from last year's Winter Olympics...



...And the "Digital Orca" sculpture beside the Vancouver Convention Centre...


...And then we spent a while chatting with them in their room on the 19th floor of the Hyatt.

It was so nice to catch up with them and hear all about their travels... and, as always, we love hearing some fair dinkum Aussie accents over here!

3 comments:

JJ said...

OK seriously you need to take us next time! It looks somewhat kid friendly, unless I'm wrong and it's fancier than I think. The pavlova looks amazing, I love that stuff.

Jac said...

I just checked out Mooses menu... Haha! Fancy going out to have a vegemite and cheese sanger!! :)
Their Pav does look very delicious!

Mother Alcorn said...

Wow seeing Kent and Elwyn would have great.