Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Boys in the kitchen!

Well, the first stage of the Incredible Cook-off is now complete and Trev and I are basking in the glow of triumph. The girls were both suitably impressed with our efforts – and that was before they even SAW our dessert!


Anna and I went around to Trevor and Sharon’s on Saturday afternoon (the same day as Go Ape), so that Trev and I could get some initial preparation done to make things a bit quicker and easier to have our meal ready for tea-time on Sunday night.


The biggest thing to get done was to prepare our meat. This was a piece of beef loin (though the recipe we were working from called for veal – three cheers for successful substitutions), cut and pounded to lay out flat, layered with a variety of ingredients (including but not limited to: toasted pine nuts, chopped fresh basil and prosciutto) and tied into a roll... which required going shopping for string at 10pm!


While Trev worked on our meat (the pièce de résistance for our meal), I worked on our surprise attack – the desserts. These were individual serves, similar to crème brûlée, but made with coconut milk and golden syrup. It needed to be cooked, then sat in the fridge to set properly, so it was good to be able to get them done beforehand. We got a few other things ready and that was it.


On Sunday we put our meat in to cook, then started on the rest of the meal. This included thyme and lemon potato wedges (a bit more lemony than our recipe called for), sweet potato wedges with pesto mayonnaise and a rocket and macadamia salad (with asparagus and parmesan, among other things).


All in all, things went very well and it was very, very tasty!


5 comments:

Anna said...

Anna's little note:
You may recall that Matt and Kat were originally going to be in attendance for this meal, but that plan ended up changing as they'd accidentally double-booked themselves! :)
And it really WAS a very very delicious meal - especially the meat, sweet potato wedges, and dessert!!

Anonymous said...

YUM!!!! it looks and sounds delicious and exotic. Good on ya boys!!!!!

Jim and Jenny said...

You are making our mouths water just reading about it Ben and it all looks delicious too. Well done!!!

Anonymous said...

mmm - yum! Very impressive. So, what happens now? who won this round and what is the next stage of the cook-off??

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm, your food looks so good! Although I must say that often these days my criteria for appetizing food is "no rice" and "meat I can recognise". But I think I'd be drooling still if I'd spent the last 3 weeks in Australia instead of Vietnam.
Not sure if I'll be successful posting this comment as the field names are all coming up in Vietnamese! Ended up emailing my comment to myself on the first attempt instead of posting it!