Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Thursday, September 20, 2007

We went Ape!

Now the tale I'm going to tell you

Speaks of adventure death defying;

Of Tarzan stunts and tree-top grunts

And screams most terrifying.


Those of you who know me well

Will ask how I survived...

I, too, am puzzled by this fact –

But yes! I am alive!


So now begins my story –

Oh! But first, the place and time:

Last Saturday, near Guildford...

Now onward with the rhyme!


To the Woodland Park at Alice Holt,

We drove our car that morning;

Met our group of thirteen friends,

And heard the safety warnings.


Too soon it was upon us:

The time to venture on our own

To where Ape alone had gone before

(Insert my whimpered moans).


We clambered up the rope ladder

To platform number one,

And didn't touch the ground again

For quite some time to come!


From tree to tree we traipsed

On skinny bits of wood or wire,

Dangling from our harnesses

As the course got slowly higher.


It was up to forty feet between

The ground and our brave toes –

I must confess, in three whole hours,

I hardly looked below!


We crossed from trunk to tree trunk

On loops and nets of rope,

And 'twas at the first Tarzan swing

That I nearly gave up hope.


I had to hook my harness

To a swing away up high,

Then step off into nothing

And try my best to fly!


It took some kind encouragement

But soon I took the leap...

Launched out over nothing

And hit the netting in a heap!


Up I climbed like Spiderman

And on to the next part;

My legs were actually trembling,

And oh! My pounding heart!


Alone I would have chickened out,

But with friends I soldiered on;

Only two (plus Ben) I'd met before –

But what a way to bond!


A thought just kept recurring:

Of all the stupid things I've done,

To actually pay to do this

Was up there as number one!


As we neared the final challenges,

I thought about the prize:

“The ground! The ground! I'm almost there!”

'Twas music to my eyes.


At forty feet I shimmied through

A tunnel made of planks;

Crossed a holey wooden bridge

And offered up my thanks.


From swaying swing to swing I stepped –

Just two tasks left to go!

I waited on the platform

For the girl in front to go.


Now I'll just pause to mention

What Ben was doing then:

Balancing across a wooden log

Without using his hands...


Back and forth he galloped,

Forty feet up high,

Daring others to do likewise...

“Hrrrummph” thought I!


So I had one last crossing

To get to the next tree,

And then the final zip line

Before I'd be home free!


The crossing had just one wire

For my pink shoes to tread,

With nothing for my hands to hold

But loose ropes dangling overhead.


Halfway across I realised

'Twas much better with eyes closed,

And I later saw a photo

From the ground up of this pose!


And then the final zip line...

Ah, but my word, they were fun:

Just like a giant flying fox;

I landed at a run!


Ben zipped down right after me,

I was nearly faint with joy –

I was never leaving Earth again...

But then that naughty boy...!


He said “there's one more section”

And he pointed over there;

I nearly died from disappointment;

I could have wept with my despair.


Then I really should have smacked him,

For he pointed, laughing, at a sign

That read “Congratulations! You've done it!”

...And rapturous joy was – finally – mine.



And now for the proof that we really did all this!!...




The reason why most of the photos are of me is because I had far more on my mind than taking photos, so I gave Ben the camera for once! :) I'll be getting some of the others' photos from the day soon, so keep an eye out for the next lot...

Here we all are as an ecstatic group after successfully completing the Go Ape course; firstly with our Ape-like tendancies in check, and then just being our new selves...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

ANNA ANNA ANNA!!! that poem was brilliant!! But i may remind you that now you have written a highly dramatized version of a high ropes course, you can never accuse me of being the dramatist!!!
Love you heaps and miss you lots
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Very well done, worth the wait!!!

Anonymous said...

Need I tell you you were mad!!!!! obviously at certain times during the ape course you thought you were too!!!!!! Congrats on the great poem, it's a long time since you've written one and congrats also on finishing the ape course - no way I could do that!!!!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!! Hilarious poem, I'm getting some weird looks cause I'm sitting in library at uni, supposedly studying, but laughing my head off! :D I'm sooooo jealous, would love to try something like that one day, although not sure how i'd cope! And great to see you've FINALLY written a poem. I shall now hit the books with a smile on my face... :) Love lots, Roxy xoxo

Anonymous said...

The poem is fabulous and the course looks like SO MUCH FUN!!!! Ohhhh I want to do something fun like that :D

Anna said...

Glad you all enjoyed it! :)
Shell - whaddaya mean, "highly dramatised"?!? Pfft. Just telling it like it was! :P
Rox - yes, the poem was a result of your earlier suggestion. Had to wait for a suitably poem-worthy event! :)
Everyone - make sure you vote in our latest poll (and that includes you people who don't comment - we KNOW you're out there) - I'm interested to see the stats on this one! "How brave/foolish (a matter of personal opinion) are our friends?"...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like so much fun!!! I also enjoyed reading your poem - very well done!!

Anonymous said...

Loved the poem. Looks like you are having lots of fun. Lucky You.

Neekie said...

ANNA THAT WAS AMAZING!!! I have done one of those Ape Course things before and they are totally scary... But with help from friends it makes it a lil better aye.. Congrats on the poem it was perfect :) Take Care Luv Neekie xoxo

Anonymous said...

I've decided to send you a quick little note
to pass comment about what you wrote
re nets,wires and ropes quite chunky
why one could begin to turn into a monkey
so tonight as you go to your bed to rest
just have a quick glance down at your chest
and if you notice it all covered in hairs
would be prudent I think if you just visit fairs

Anna said...

Oho, the plot thickens!
A new mystery!
Who is the poet?
Who can it be?
I'll ponder and wonder
And never be free
If you don't confess
And reveal this to me!

JJ said...

wow, love the poem Anna! I use to write poems for a hobby but that was many years ago. You have inspired me to get back into it! :)