Yesterday we went to a farewell lunch for Len and Theresa, who are flying home to Guyana (South America) on Tuesday after having lived, worked and studied over here for the past year. We'll miss them, but definitely hope to cross paths again! The party was hosted by Ian and Sharon, who live about 40 minutes away from us and have two young children – Len and Theresa are staying with them for their last few days here.
There were about 40 people there, including some we hadn't met before. Sharon had asked us to bring wombok salad like we took to the other Sharon's marquee party – it seems to be quite a hit, and we keep being asked to explain what's in it!! There were lots of other delicious dishes too, including Guyanese curry and chilli – and, for dessert, an illustrated farewell cake with maps of South America and the UK, and an absolutely scrumptious looking (and tasting) chocolate cake! (By the way, Sharon's a chef!) The chocolate cake was for Theresa's birthday since that's just after they get home! And we also sang happy birthday to Ben. :)
Most of the guests trying to assemble themselves for a group photo...
Afterwards, we stayed around and went to a Bonfire Night in nearby Lewes with Ian, Sharon, their children, and Len and Theresa. It was held by the children's firework society in the lead-up to the “real thing”: the famous Lewes Bonfire Night I mentioned in an earlier blog entry, which we hope to go to on 5 November. This one was still very spectacular, with a procession of flaming torches and burning barrels, an enormous bonfire, exploding tableaus, and a REALLY spectacular display of fireworks, but I'll save my photos and detailed explanations for after we've been to the HUUUGE one next week! Ian is Lewes born and bred, and his cousin actually builds a lot of the fireworks displays, so it was fantastic to have him there explaining everything to us... the history and politics, the seven different firework society's membership criteria, uniforms, badges etc... But I'll save that for next time! Bye for now!
4 comments:
I'm wondering when you have time to sleep - every day and night there seems to be something new to do, see, go to etc. Aus was never that exciting!!!!!!!! Looks like the English are as hard to organize for a group photo as the Aussie crowd!!!!
Mum, re the first part of your comment - there are lots of quiet nights at home too - I just don't write about those!! :)
I'll say! It's starting to become like a novel, with all these new characters! Just so we can get a better picture of some of your new friends, you should put up photos and explain a bit about them! :) Just for those of us who are bad at connecting everyone. Just a suggestion... :) Keep up the great blogging... xo
Hmmm... some of them read this too, and I don't want to freak them out!! But I can tell you that sort of thing via less-public methods of communication!
Post a Comment