Migratory Byrds

Migratory Byrds

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Canucks or Aussies?

January 5th marked the 1 year anniversary of our arrival in Canada. A couple of weeks later, Canada then surpassed England to become the country we have lived in the longest as a married couple. It’s strange to think it will be 2013 before Australia gets back in the lead!

Just for fun, I made two lists: “Ways we’ve become Canadianised” and “How we know we’re still Australian”. Here goes…

Ways we’ve become Canadianised…

  • We wear toques and sweaters instead of beanies and jumpers.
  • We say supper instead of tea and washroom instead of toilet.
  • We eat cookies instead of biscuits and talk on cell phones not mobiles.
  • We drive on the right side of the road (except for Ben on one memorable occasion just last month…).
  • We have gotten used to cheddar cheese being orange and carrots being any size except normal.
  • We have eaten pumpkin for dessert, marshmallows in a salad, and poured brown sugar over mashed sweet potatoes for a main dish.
  • We wear denim on Wednesday nights.
  • We do not nurse babies, we cuddle or hold them (that’s an important difference here…).
  • We know what loonies and toonies are.
  • We just say “hockey” when we mean “ice hockey”.
  • We want the Canucks to win.
  • We’ve learnt a few French words (although can’t pronounce them), because all product packaging is legally required to display both of Canada’s national languages.
  • I have started saying “foreverr” instead of “forevuh”.
  • We associate hot weather with June, July and August.
  • We call 10 degrees a “beautiful day” as long as it’s not raining.
  • We know the tune and words to O Canada (the national anthem)… and it makes us feel patriotic to stand and sing it at sporting events even though we’re not Canadian!!


How we know we’re still Australian…

  • We can play Killer Bunnies without apologising every time we use a weapon.
  • We dislike the expectation that we will tip regardless of service quality. (Hmm – actually, we just dislike tipping in general – but we do it anyway.)
  • We think it’s crazy that advertised prices do not include taxes (which differ by province as well as by product category).
  • We frequently do the left-right-left dance when manoeuvring around oncoming people in stairwells or on street crossings: we instinctively move left; they instinctively move right… think about it; it doesn’t work!
  • When approaching the car, I still look for the steering wheel so I know which side to go to.
  • We are some of the few people who welcomed BC’s new distracted driving legislation (because using hand-held devices while driving has been illegal in Australia for years).
  • We miss really smelly mangoes.
  • We think burgers are better with egg and pineapple.
  • We found fault with the menu at an Australian restaurant in Vancouver because it used the words “fries”, “pop” and “beets” (in fact they spelt it “beats”!).
  • We confuse our friends when we talk about whingeing, grizzling, getting roused on, going crook on someone, and chucking a nana.
  • Our friends are unsure if we’re insulting or complimenting them if we say they look lairy or are such a hoon.
  • Sometimes I see a large stick out of the corner of my eye and my first thought is “snake!”
  • We delight in teaching people the Tim Tam Slam (it’s a radical new dance move… or not…)
  • We still pronounce it lahst, fahst, pah-sta, cahn’t, to-mah-to, ba-nah-na… no matter how many times we hear it otherwise.
  • We read Banjo Patterson poems aloud at US Thanksgiving (although a fair dinkum Aussie would have recited them from memory).
  • We love telling people we’re Australian. Aussies are well-liked and warmly welcomed everywhere!

10 comments:

Jo said...

Love your lists! Very entertaining. I suspect (and hope, especially for points such as driving on the rights side of the road!) that you'll revert back to the Aussie ways when you're back in Australia amongst Aussies who won't know what toques are, and who will presume you mean hockey rather than ice hockey when you say hockey. ;)

Re Aussie food: When we were in Vietnam and needed a break from Asian food, we ordered an "Aussie burger" from the menu, and then had to point to it for the Vietnamese waitress to understand what we wanted. She then corrected our pronunciation: "Oss-eye burger".

roxy said...

Love your lists too! Good to know you're still holding on to some "Aussie-ness"! ;)

Susie Q said...

I knew you'd pick up some of the r's!

Megan said...

Haha, this list made me laugh because I can definitely relate to most of these! Although I never got used to saying toques, sweaters, cookies, supper or washroom (or candy!), but I did make a point of saying them so I wouldn’t be misunderstood! And I haven’t yet driven on the wrong side of the road, but watch out, it is MUCH harder coming back the other way (ie returning home to what you had previously been used to) – you don’t concentrate as hard because it supposedly should feel normal. I was so glad that we had a couple of weeks of being driven around before I had to drive myself!! And 10 degrees is roasting – we got to the point of calling 0 degrees a beautiful day even if it was snowing – compared to -40 it really was warm!!

Hmm, tipping and prices not including taxes are two of my pet hates in Canada – we got back to NZ with $14 of small change, including 70 pennies, simply from several months of not knowing how much the final price of a product would be until right at the last second, by which point you don’t have time to dig through and find the correct change, so you just use loonies or toonies or notes instead! We probably could have cut down on our oversized luggage if we had got rid of them before we left! ;-)

I still quite regularly go to hop in the wrong side of a car, I really have to stop and think about it before I walk up to a car. And as for giving way to people in the street or in stairwells, or to checking for oncoming traffic before I cross a road, I am just a lost cause…!

And thanks, I now have O Canada in my head, as I do every time I hear it or think of it… ;-)

Jo said...

I remember when we got back from Vietnam (where they also drive on the right hand side of the road), when mum picked us up from the airport I jumped in the car with a bunch of bags piled up on my lap... and after thinking that there didn't seem to be much room, realised that this was because the steering wheel was there.

Anonymous said...

Love the lists!!!

Log home living said...

Ah yes, I think there is Canuck AND American in you! We just think you guys fit in well everywhere--and we did love the Aussie poetry!
Donna

Anna said...

Jo, both those stories are hilarious!! People here say "Ossie" rather than "Ozzie" too (although not "Oss-eye"!).

Megan, that's another one - looking in the wrong direction to check for cars when crossing a road! I just look both ways constantly because I have no clue anymore!!

Thanks for the compliment, Donna. :)

Kelly and Janae said...

I love your lists too- love love love- all the aussie-isms we have heard you both use! anytime you want to drive a car with right hand drive(albeit on the right hand side of the street) let us know! -j

Dreana said...

Awesome lists, made me laugh :)