Last weekend, Angharad, Ben and I headed to Mt Vernon, WA to catch up with Donna and Terry. It was our first road trip in
our new car.
On Friday night we crossed the border into the US, a process that took 1.5 hours and involved Angharad almost being arrested for telling a border guard that she was ripping our car apart because she was "looking for a needle" (in fact a darning needle that she had dropped down the side of the seat)! Then we stopped for a scrumptious dinner at our favourite restaurant in Bellingham:
La Fiamma Wood Fire Pizza.
We reached Donna and Terry's home around 10:30pm and spent a while chatting with them and Kelly, Janae and Etta, who were also spending the weekend.
On Saturday morning, Angharad, Ben and I set off to see the tulip fields: we had timed our visit to coincide with the
Skagit Valley Tulip Festival (which Angharad and I also went to
last year). We didn't go into any of the tulip farms, and ran out of time to go to the street fair like we had originally intended, but we did have fun admiring the vivid fields of tulips as we pootled around the area. As you can see, a LOT of other people were doing likewise!
 |
| Tulip traffic |
 |
| Daffodils |
 |
| Someone's yard |
 |
| A barn |
 |
| Another barn |
 |
| And yet another barn |
 |
| The roadside |
 |
| Lonely? |
 |
| Llamas |
 |
| Kites |
 |
| Barn and kites |
 |
| Did I mention that I love American barns? |
 |
| Cyclists checking their "bloom map" at a roundabout |
 |
| Mt Baker towering over the scene |
 |
| Love this - looks like she's inspecting a mural! |
 |
| Crates |
 |
| So much for the above sign... |
 |
| Donkey |
 |
| Helicopter tour over the tulip fields |
Click here to see more tulip photos in our Picasa album.
After lunch at the Chuck Wagon Drive-In in Mt Vernon, it was time to head back to Donna and Terry's place to get ready for Etta's 2nd birthday party, which was combined with her cousin Jacqueline's 9th birthday party!
To be continued...
5 comments:
The photo with Mt Baker in the background is 'stunning' - Wow, Wow, Wow I LOVE the tulips.
Love the post - the photos are amazing and the tulips are stunning. Thanks for sharing. Love Celinda.
Wow, gorgeous photos, sis! Looks like a delightful weekend of 'pootling' around! ;)
Mum...don't those flowers look amazing?? You should get over here and see them for yourself!! ;)
WOW. I absolutely LOVE tulips. Wanted them to be my wedding flower, but that just wasn't going to happen in December! :) What beautiful photos!!!!!! ~M
I LOVE the fields of colour here! Gorgeous! :)
Post a Comment